Tuesday, July 6, 2010

ALA 2010: Who Inspired, What I Saw

Wow:
As a presenter in my first-ever out of town conference, I may have been more receptive.  But this is the most productive conference I have ever attended.  I met tons of interesting people (from shaking hands with authors to chatting with amazing colleagues in line), lucked out in that most presentations were useful and entertaining, saw some great folks (like Storycorps) on the exhibits floor, and I feel like I walk away a better librarian with plenty of ideas to share and implement.

I put these here so I can access them, but more so I can share them with others.  Notes from all sessions can be found on posts throughout the following entries on this blog.

The first session I attended was Nancy Pearl interviewing Mary McDonagh Murphy about To Kill a Mockingbird’s anniversary and Murphy’s amazing-looking documentary, specifically.

Then I learned about cloud computing and open access.

I then sat in on the YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens roundtable. I walked 6 blocks in the 100 degree heat index to see this, was the only spectator there, and learned a lot, both about graphic novels for the collection and about how roundtables function.

Ended the day by seeing some old friends, one of which treated me to a tour of her place of employment, NPR. Absolute thrill of thrills.

That was Saturday. Here’s Sunday:
I began the day with a typical Stephen Abram lecture. In other words, my mind was blown wide open with the possibilities as well as the things we should stop doing. Brilliant lecture.

Then I headed over to the panel I was fortunate enough to be part of: Innovative Collection Centered Programs: Beyond the Book Group which I think I did all right in, with my presentation on Oak Park Readers. But my colleagues on the panel were just amazing.

After that, I was interviewed by a German doctoral candidate and another professor of LIS about my American Libraries article, "Those Who Can, Do. Those Who Can Do More, Volunteer." She was very complimentary. And I’ve learned: this article has legs (another doctor of library science bought me drinks, wondering if I'd be on a panel for NEXT year's ALA.)  Flattering and exciting.

Sadly, this made me miss Will Shortz.

But I was able to sidle over to Are You a Programming Librarian? Which was an inspiring plug for yet another great collective of librarians: programminglibrarian.org

I got to see Roy Blount, Jr. talk about his Duck Soup making-of book Hail Hail Euphoria. Very amusing, enlightening, and I will read this tale about a film whose creation not many know anything about. Love them Marx Bros!

Then I haunted the amazing exhibits floor again (and again) and visited the bookmobiles, which though parked by the dumpster were very eye-opening, inspiring, entirely different from one antother with each library's personality shining through, and just plaincool to see.

Monday:
I have read in various places (such as this) that graphic novels are really getting their due.  And at ALA, this is true.  There was practically an entire track devoted to them.  And on the exhibits floor, Art Spiegelman, Francoise Mouly, and Geoffrey Hayes all sat at a table waiting to talk to fans; great, down-to-earth folks whose hands I still can't believe I shook.  Great Graphic Novels for Teens was a conversation happening over at something called the Pop-Top pavillion.  Most of this stuff was covered at the roundtable I invaded Saturday afternoon.

Then I saw Salman Rushdie for just a few minutes. Presence of greatness and all that...he related a tale in his dulcet British tones that someone hipped him to the fact post-publication of his infamous book that Lord Byron referred to his contemporary poet laureate’s poetry as The Satanic Verses. This was a happy accident, as was my being able to grab a few moments and walk into this presentation.

Tuesday:
In bright red t-shirts, librarians stormed Capitol Hill to rally and demand more funding for libraries.
Lauren Myracle delivered an inspiring address to the gathered throng.  Similarly, Vernon Ehlers represented Michigan and Jack Reed Rhode Island.  See photos and watch a lengthy video here.  Apparently it was the largest rally of its kind ever held.  As the fellow with the youngest rallier on his shoulders (Ruby is 13 months), I can say it was fun.  As a librarian, I can say it was truly moving and inspiring.

I put these notes here so I can access them, but more so I can share them with others. Notes from all of the sessions I attended can be found on posts throughout the following entries in the blog.

No comments: